As soon as the Thanksgiving leftovers are all gone, it’s time to start reading Christmas books at our house. Here are a few of our favorites that also make joyous Christmas gifts too.
1. The First Christmas by Sophie Piper tells the Bible story of the first Christmas. I love the colorful, yet simple pictures. It’s a very kid-attractive book and of course of beautiful story- the most important children’s book we read during the Advent season as we prepare for the birth of Jesus.
2. We love the Berenstein bear family and the Berestein Bears’ Christmas Tree is a lot of Christmas fun. Papa Bear takes the kids on an adventure to find the perfect tree. The perfect trees were already home to some other forest animals. The Berenstein Bears come home with a Christmas tree reminiscent of Charlie Brown but also with a special message about what is really important at Christmas.
3. The Polar Express may now be a movie but it’s still such a worthy book. Do you believe? Will you hear the Christmas bell?
4. Jan Brett is one of our favorite authors and Who’s that Knocking on Christmas Eve is a very clever tale and of course beautifully illustrated. Every year the trolls eat up Kyri’s feast but a traveler and his ice bear save the Christmas.
5. Twas the Night Before Christmas is a must have for Christmas Eve. This is a classic that needs to be in every family’s library. It’s one of my favorite gifts for a Baby’s First Christmas. Kids love the rhythm and rhyme of this Christmas story.